When can you end your membership in AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus Plan (Disenroll)?
You can end your membership in AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus at any time. The change will be effective the first day of the next month after we get your request.
How do you end your membership in our plan?
If you decide to end your membership, tell Michigan Medicaid or Medicare that you want to leave AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus:
- Call Michigan ENROLLS at 1-800-975-7630, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. TTY users should call 1-888-263-5897; or
- Call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), 24 hours a day, seven days a week. TTY users (people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled) should call 1-877-486-2048. When you call 1-800-MEDICARE, you can also enroll in another Medicare health or drug plan.
How do you join a different plan?
If you want to keep getting your Medicare and Michigan Medicaid benefits together from a single plan, you can join a different Medicare-Medicaid Plan.
To enroll in a different Medicare-Medicaid Plan:
- Call Michigan ENROLLS at 1-800-975-7630, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. TTY users should call 1-888-263-5897.Tell them you want to leave AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus and join a different Medicare-Medicaid Plan. If you are not sure what plan you want to join, they can tell you about other plans in your area.
- Send Michigan ENROLLS an Enrollment Change Form. You can get the form by calling Michigan ENROLLS at 1-800-975-7630 if you need them to mail you one.
If you leave our plan and you do not want a different Medicare-Medicaid Plan, how do you get Medicare and Michigan Medicaid services?
If you do not want to enroll in a different Medicare-Medicaid Plan after you leave AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus, you will go back to getting your Medicare and Michigan Medicaid services separately.
How you will get Medicare services
You will have a choice about how you get your Medicare benefits. You have three options for getting your Medicare services. By choosing one of these options, you will automatically end your membership in our plan.
- You can change to a Medicare health plan, such as a Medicare Advantage plan or Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).
- You can change to Original Medicare with a separate Medicare prescription drug plan.
- You can change to Original Medicare without a separate Medicare prescription drug plan.
NOTE: If you switch to Original Medicare and do not enroll in a separate Medicare prescription drug plan, Medicare may enroll you in a drug plan, unless you tell Medicare you don’t want to join. You should only drop prescription drug coverage if you get drug coverage from an employer, union or other source. If you have questions about whether you need drug coverage, call your Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP) at 1-800-803-7174.
Here is what to do:
Call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048 to enroll in the new Medicare-only health plan.
If you need help or more information:
Call the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). In Michigan, the SHIP is called the Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP). MMAP can be reached at 1-800-803-7174.
You will automatically be disenrolled from AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus when your new plan or Original Medicare coverage begins.
How you will get Michigan Medicaid services
If you leave the Medicare-Medicaid Plan, you will get your Michigan Medicaid services through fee-for-service. Your Michigan Medicaid services include most long term supports and services and behavioral health care. If you leave the Medicare-Medicaid Plan, you can see any provider that accepts Michigan Medicaid.
Until your membership ends, you will keep getting your medical services and drugs through our plan
If you leave AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus, it may take time before your membership ends and your new Medicare and Michigan Medicaid coverage begins. During this time, you will keep getting your health care and drugs through our plan.
Your membership will end in certain situations
These are the cases when AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care Plus must end your membership in the plan:
- If there is a break in your Medicare Part A and Part B coverage.
- If you no longer qualify for Michigan Medicaid. Our plan is for people who qualify for both Medicare and Michigan Medicaid.
- If you move out of our service area.
- If you are away from our service area for more than six months.
- If you move or take a long trip, you need to call Member Services to find out if the place you are moving or traveling to is in our plan's service area.
- If you go to prison.
- If you lie about or withhold information about other insurance you have for prescription drugs.
We can make you leave our plan for the following reasons only if we get permission from Medicare and Michigan Medicaid first:
- If you intentionally give us incorrect information when you are enrolling in our plan and that information affects your eligibility for our plan.
- If you continuously behave in a way that is disruptive and makes it difficult for us to provide medical care for you and other members of our plan.
- If you let someone else use your ID card to get medical care.
- If we end your membership because of this reason, Medicare may have your case investigated by the Inspector General.
We can not ask you to leave our plan for any reason related to your health.
Where can you get more information about ending your plan membership?
If you have questions or would like more information on when we can end your membership, see Chapter 10 of the Member Handbook (PDF — updated June 24, 2019). You can also call Member Services at 1-888-667-0318 (TTY/TDD 711).